Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, located on the IUPUI campus in Indianapolis, is seeking an enterprising and engaged leader to serve as its next dean commencing in July 2020. IU McKinney is a remarkably successful and rising law school, whose graduates comprise approximately one-half of the practicing lawyers and judges in the State of Indiana. IU McKinney is a distinctive and attractive law school in several respects:
- IU McKinney is located on the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis campus and is an integral part of a large, diverse, robust, public research university that hosts 17 eminent schools granting degrees in health sciences, liberal arts, engineering, and other disciplines for nearly 30,000 students, and providing an unparalleled, intellectually-stimulating environment;
- With over 850 students in its JD, LLM, MJ, and SJD programs, IU McKinney is the largest law school in Indiana and one of the largest in the Midwest region. IU McKinney is the only law school in Indiana offering a part-time course of study for the JD degree, which, combined with a growing cohort of students from underrepresented minorities and relatively low tuition and generous scholarship support, make IU McKinney a school of exceptional access for students, especially within the greater Indianapolis region;
- IU McKinney has justly earned recognition and high rankings, including a number 11 ranking for the school's health care law program; a top 20 ranking for its legal writing program; and National Jurist Magazine's top 60 list for "best value law schools;"
- Students at IU McKinney are able to take advantage of a broad array of special course offerings; experiential and skills-development options, including an exceptional Pro Bono Program and law clinics; an outstanding collection of resources housed at the Ruth Lilly Law Library; and three acclaimed law reviews. Given the school's unrivalled location within Indiana's capital and its largest city, externships and employment opportunities for students are plentiful;
- The faculty of 45 fulltime professors and about 100 adjuncts, as well as the law school's loyal and skilled staff, are dedicated to student success and well-being, and collectively and intentionally nurture a learning community that prepares students for practice, professionalism, and leadership.
IU McKinney is seeking an ambitious, innovative, and collaborative leader to work with the school's faculty and the IUPUI administration to: develop a strategic plan that aligns with the initiatives of the university; allocate resources to those strategic goals and priorities; improve the bar passage rates for students and enhance the school's reputation; and promote the regional impact of the school. The successful candidate will hold a JD and present a minimum of ten years' experience in the teaching and/or practice of law; will demonstrate an appetite for innovation and entrepreneurship; and will possess the ability to build and manage organizations that are dedicated to diversity, inclusion, and equity and to manage the budget of a complex enterprise. Intellectual leadership and dedication to scholarship, teaching excellence, and public service are essential.
Inquiries, nominations, and applications, which should include a current curriculum vitae or resume and cover letter, should be sent electronically via the online application. Application reviews will begin immediately and continue until the completion of the search process. Application and nominations submitted by November 1, 2019, will receive priority consideration.